An Overview of the Chemical and Physical Properties of Magnesium
Magnesium is one of the maximum essential elements this is found in many compounds in addition to alloys. It is widely used as a chemical reagent, desulfurization agent, and critical aspect in fireworks. It unearths more than one applications because of its unique chemical and bodily properties.
TAGGED UNDER: Magnesium
Quick Facts about Magnesium
The Dead Sea is rich with Magnesium deposits.
1) The term ‘magnesium’ is derived from the Greek word magnesia, which refers back to the call of the region from in which it turned into extracted.
2) Magnesium is closely related to manganese and magnetite.
Three) About 2.1% of the Earth’s crust includes magnesium. This makes magnesium the 6th maximum located detail.
Four) The biggest deposits of magnesium is discovered inside the seawater. It has been calculated by way of scientists that a cubic mile of seawater consists of about 6 million heaps of this detail.
Many gadgets that we use in our everyday lives include magnesium in the shape of certain compounds or alloys. Magnesium is produced and exported through international locations which include North Korea, Russia, China, Austria, Slovakia and so forth. Turkey ranks first most of the magnesium-producing countries. In the United States, magnesium is derived from the seawater with the aid of the use of a distinct era.
Chemical Properties of Magnesium
READ MORE :
- this is Amazing! How Greed Nearly Caused the Downfall of Blogging
- Web Design and Development Software
- Definition and Gist of Digital Identity Explained With Examples
- Persuasion And Perfection: Job Description of a Property Manager
- The Extraordinary Importance of Computers in Various Fields
1) Magnesium is positioned most of the alkaline earth metals at the periodic desk. This element belongs to the organization 2 and duration three of the periodic desk.
2) It has the atomic variety 12 which means that it has 12 protons and 12 electrons. The average atomic mass of this element is 24.305 am.
Reactivity of Magnesium
1) Magnesium is a very reactive metallic and does now not exist in a free kingdom in nature.
2) It reacts at a slow pace with cold water and at a totally fast tempo with warm water.
3) It reacts with nearly all of the acids and alkalies, leading to the formation of a variety of different compounds and with the aid of-products.
4) It actively reacts with many non-metals which include nitrogen and fluorine.
Five) Magnesium also quite simply reacts with some other compounds which include carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide,
Oxidization of Magnesium
1) The oxidation technique of magnesium could be very rapid and a layer of oxidized magnesium is formed on the surface of the metal if saved in the open.
2) Magnesium also burns very rapidly, whilst it’s miles at room temperature. This burning method could be very furious because it produces a stunning white light.
Physical Properties of Magnesium
1) Magnesium has a silvery white appearance.
2) Among all the structural metals, magnesium is the lightest.
Three) Its boiling factor is 1090ºC or 1994ºF.
Four) The metallic displays a superb conductivity of warmth and strength.
Uses of Magnesium
1) Pieces of magnesium may be welded, molded, reduce, and fashioned in step with the requirements. It also can be fabricated without difficulty. Such structural metals are normally used to build massive systems and homes.
2) Magnesium is rarely used inside the systems in its loose shape because of its reactive homes. In such instances, it’s far used as an alloy.
As cited in the chemical homes, magnesium is also present in many different compounds like dolomite, magnesium carbonate (that is additionally called magnesite), and magnesium sulfate (which is likewise acknowledged by the name epsomite).
Magnesium and the Human Body
Many us in all likelihood do now not recognize the truth that magnesium is likewise required with the aid of the human frame for powerful functioning. This mineral is prominently found in bones and frame cells. The consumption of magnesium this is required may be very low and basically comes thru the molecules of chlorophyll which can be prominently present in green leafy greens, legumes, whole grains, and end result which include figs, bananas, and artichokes.